Blogs > Fantasy football playbook

Inside fantasy football action with sports reporter Francis X. Bova of The Morning Journal in Lorain, Ohio

Click here to return to The Morning Journal's online Sports section.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Happy Birthday, Me

Well, Wednesday I celebrated my 34th year of existence. I celebrated it with a week-long series of events in person -- the Browns-Bills game, the Cavs-Bucks game and the OSU-CSU game on back-to-back-to-back days. All went well in those games (except my Vikings gets the wood taken to them by OSU) and I had a good birthday the day after. However, in my one fantasy football playoff game, I lost, despite scoring over 100 points.

It's frustrating when there's only two teams in the entire league that break 100 points, and you're playing the other one. So, that officially ends my last gasp at a payday this season. Throw in a loss in my free Yahoo league as well (one that I decided to bet dinner on with the other team), and it was a not a good fantasy week for this guy.

All I can do now is start focusing on the upcoming baseball season and hope to earn back some money that way, and then prepare for football. Incidentally, it's never too early to prepare for next season. I look forward to the next fantasy season the day after the real Super Bowl is over.

Since I now can put my entire focus on everything else, feel free to shoot me any questions you have as you prepare for your key fantasy matchups. Hopefully, you can have a Merry Christmas with some Super Bowl victories.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan-
I have been defying odds regarding fantasy football since Week 8. I have won 7 out of 8 games including two playoff games as the lowest ranked team in my playoffs (#6- finished at 7 and 6). I have been doing it with smoke and mirrors as I am a keen observer of the waiver wire. I am in the championship this week, in a league that rewards points per reception and am having a difficult time setting my lineup. Here is what I have to deal with and who is starting in those positions as of right now.

QB- Kurt Warner
RB- Joe Addai, Aaron Stecker
WR- Joey Galloway, Larry Fitzgerald, David Patten
TE- Kellen Winslow
W/R flex position- Dwayne Bowe
K- Gostkowski
DEF- Green Bay

Bench- WR- Bernard Berrian, Lee Evans
RB- Chester Taylor, Dominic Rhodes, Justin Fargas (hurt)

My biggest decision is the flex position, where I am not sure if I use a favorable matchup in Bowe vs. the Lions or go with Rhodes hoping he carries the load against the best run defense in the NFL in Jacksonville.

The team I am playing is stacked too.
QB- Hasselbeck
RB- LT, A-Peterson, Edge
WR- TO, Wes Welker, Plaxico
TE- Vernon Davis
K- Viniteri
DEF- Chicago

Thanks for your input Dan and have a very Merry Christmas!!

~Jeremy Edwards

December 21, 2007 at 11:29 AM 
Blogger Francis X. Bova III said...

If you're struggling between Bowe and Rhodes, I'd go with Bowe in a heartbeat. You don't know what you'll get out of Rhodes, especially against the Jaguars. However, I would lean more toward someone like Chester Taylor over Bowe. With Bowe, his QB situation is one that doesn't lend itself to great WR play. Taylor will split time with AP, but Taylor will still get his carries and receptions, and may even outgain AP in the end (like the 49ers game). Berrian and Bowe are almost the same player. Bowe does have a better matchup, but it seems like a gamble. However, if you've made this far with gambling, you might as well ride the hot hand.

LT, AP and Edge ... oh, my! Best of luck this weekend, looks like you'll need it.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

December 22, 2007 at 4:59 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In August, I foolishly drafted Laurence Maroney in the first round, but here I am still playing for my league title. I've done with with Ryan Grant, Kevin Jones, Marshawn Lynch and Chester Taylor in my running back rotation down the stretch. Adrian Peterson's re-emergence and the Patriots' increased willingness to go with Maroney more has him gaining ground over Taylor in my eyes.

How would you handle this RB situation in the final two weeks? Thanks.

December 23, 2007 at 12:30 PM 
Blogger Francis X. Bova III said...

Is this Goul? Well, as I see that you lost in the semifinals this past week, whatever you decided may not have helped (or, maybe it was because the dude you played had L.T. go off). Either way, you have a shot at the big crown. And, I'd continue to ride Maroney. He's finally getting the ball, and he's been playing very well. It's crazy that the bust of a first-round pick may pay off in the very end. Grant should be the No. 1, Maroney No. 2 and go with the matchups on Lynch and Jones for your No. 3/flex. All four of these guys should play considerably this final weekend, so you've got that going for you, which is nice.

December 27, 2007 at 2:23 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home