Blogs > Fantasy football playbook

Inside fantasy football action with sports reporter Francis X. Bova of The Morning Journal in Lorain, Ohio

Click here to return to The Morning Journal's online Sports section.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Benching Brady?

This here's a true story. Two weeks ago, in one of my leagues, a guy was going for a chance at the Super Bowl and was playing the best team (points-wise) in the league. This team was also the defending champion. So, in a make or break game, he went against all conventional wisdom and benched Tom Brady.

And it worked!!!

That week (Week 14), Brady had his first really bad game of the year, only scoring one fantasy point. For some inexplicable reason, this owner had the foresight and the cajones to bench Brady and start Kurt Warner against the Saints.

Warner went off with 233 yards passing and three TD passes, good enough for 18 points in that scoring system. His team upset the defending champ, 113-91. Had Brady started, this team would have lost.

Unfortunately for the Brady benchers, his luck ran out in the Super Bowl this past week. He was destroyed, 142-51, He did start Brady again, who preformed well, but the rest of his team blew chowder.

Hope Santa got you everything you wanted this Christmas. All I want for Christmas is a Browns playoff berth (and maybe a win or two when they get there). Come on, Colts!! Help me get my wish granted!!!

If you read my column today, you know I'll be running the roll call of champions once again. Please feel free to e-mail your league's champion (name of owner, name of team, name of league) to my work address (dgilles@morningjournal.com) or post to this blog by Wednesday at 4 p.m., and I will do my best to post them all in the paper.

Thanks for reading, and best of luck in your Super Bowls this week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure where to leave this info but I wanted to give you the name of our Super Bowl winner. Our league was THE GREAT ESCAPE and the winner was Bobby Szilvasy, team name: The Shifty One. This is our fifth year and our SuperBowl was a rematch of the same two teams, but each one had a different outcome. I read your column every week and I look forward to reading it as we approach next season.

December 27, 2007 at 9:45 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home