Blogs > Fantasy football playbook

Inside fantasy football action with sports reporter Francis X. Bova of The Morning Journal in Lorain, Ohio

Click here to return to The Morning Journal's online Sports section.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

0-4 Week

It was only a matter of time, but this week, my teams went completely winless.

Coupled with the Browns' loss to my hated Ravens, and it made for a long and miserable weekend.

The best chance I had at winning was in my work league, where my team has been mediocre for the most part. Starting Ronnie Brown on a whim, with his five touchdowns that translated into 39 fantasy points in my league, I was off to a big lead over my opponent.

However, when the dust settled, I had been beaten, 104-102. I had the second-highest score in the 12-team league, and all I get out of it was another digit in the loss column.

Sad, but that's fantasy.

In my other leagues, terrible performances out of Ben Roethlisberger and Braylon Edwards really did me in. In the league where I was projected to finish in first place, my team had the lowest point total in the entire league and I was beaten soundly by a team that, I thought, would be the patsie of the league.

It's too early to panic, however. Bye weeks seperate the men from from the boys a lot of times, so I'm still confident I can turn the ship around.

Do you have a similar story in your league? Please feel free to post a comment and vent. That's what this is for.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First week of the season I start Warner over McNabb. McNabb goes off. Second week of the year I start Mcnabb, Warner goes off. I lose both games because of this. I win week 3. However, I have 4 solid rb's in a 10 team league. Reggie, Larry Johnson, Steven Jackson, and Felix Jones. Andre Johnson, Holmes, Anthony Gonzalez as my two wides. Witten, Akers, and Bears fill my team out. What should I do about the RB situation-it's start two. I'm 1-2 playing the #3 team now

September 27, 2008 at 3:38 AM 
Blogger Francis X. Bova III said...

I'm guessing Reggie is Reggie Bush. He's a must-start in leagues that award points-per-catch, because he's a catching machine. I would stay away from Steven Jackson, only because the Rams are a team in total disarray. Same with Larry Johnson -- teams are keying on him because the Chiefs have nothing else. So, that leaves Felix Jones, who's done nothing but rip off a big play every single week. It's safe to say that he'll get some touches each week, and he's a home-run threat each time. He's a great play as a flex, but as a No. 2 ... I'd hate to tell you to start Jones, and then this be the game where he doesn't do anything. The safe choice would be Bush and Jackson (Trent Green at QB may open up things for him -- the lesser of two evils with him and LJ). The boom-or-bust choice would be Bush and Felix. Let me know how it works out.

September 27, 2008 at 2:59 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yowzers. That was close. I was down 4 points entering the Steelers game. Never like rootin or draftin Steeler players! Holmes came thru. I benched LJ in favor of Bush and that was a mistake. Might as well try to trade Bush for a good #3 WR. I've got Branch, Vincent Jackson on the bench but I think I can bolster the #3WR corp with players such as Evans, Jennings, or Boldin.

Thanks for the help

September 30, 2008 at 4:04 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home